The hospital built for Susan La Flesche Picotte existed until the late 1940s. Later it served as a care center for the elderly. In 1989 the building was restored, and it now displays photos and artifacts from Susan's life. Named the Susan La Flesche Picotte Center, it commemorates her medical work and her life, dedicated to the welfare of her people.
After her husband died in 1905, Susan and her boys moved to Walthill where they helped build a house and a hospital, the first hospital on a reservation not funded by government money. Source — NSHS.
Click this button to print this page of the story.